What We Do
Afton is a concert production company that focuses on booking local and regional artists of all genres at legitimate music venues in their home region. Our primary goal is to book local artists on well-attended live shows. Our secondary goal is to provide free resources and free promotion education to all local artists, whether they book with us or not.
Afton primarily books shows that are All Ages & Bar w/ID, so artists can bring out all of their fans, no matter their age. We do produce some 18+ ONLY and 21+ ONLY events as well, depending on the city. We create long-term partnerships with our venues so we can provide artists with year round show options, each month…
We have yet to see any other venue, concert company, or entity that books local acts on all ages/underage shows that does more or pays more than we do. Everything that our company does is completely free to the artist, and we are proud of that.
To see more on what we specifically do for our artists visit:
What Afton Will Do for You
Afton provides risk-free booking, that is, Afton takes on all financial risk for the artists we book. No artist ever pays a fee to Afton, all revenues come solely from the fans who are paying to see the show. Our cut is not guaranteed, and every show we produce is a risk for us and the club. Artists are paid per the written agreement no matter what, even in cases where the show is a complete loss for Afton.
We do what we do because our founders and many of our staff are musicians themselves, and we have a passion for cultivating local music and live events. To read the story on how our company started, visit How We Started.
We fully book, coordinate, schedule, and pay for every facet of the shows we produce. Significant overhead expenses are required in order for us to book local artists nationwide. In addition to our costs, we also must pay the minimum operating costs for a venue to open for that night which can include paying the Sound Person, Venue Manager, bar/concessions staff, any Security staff, and a rental price, room fee, or “bar fee” to the club since our shows are generally underage or all ages. Some examples of the types of overhead we have here in our main office are below:
- Graphics Staff (flier designs, spotlight ads, show promo ads, website, web banners etc.)
- Software Staff (upkeeping ticketing, myafton.com/myafton_wp profiles, new features, new idea launches to help our artists, system maintenance, etc.)
- Booking Staff (organizing, booking, reviewing new submissions, communicating with each act, etc.)
- Human Resources Staff for Show Manager hiring, training, scheduling, managing (we have 100s of show managers throughout the U.S. to manage)
- On Call person for Show Manager Support (every show someone is IN our office for full show support/backup until the show ends)
- Office staff at our main office that are responsible for long term planning & new features, management and office hiring, ensuring any mistakes are fixed, etc.
- Lineups for 100 shows/month, our site and the clubs site, and weekly updations
- Venue scheduling & relations staff for the 80+ clubs we work with year round-
- Accounting, paperwork, book keeping, and payroll
- All web site admin
- Printing & mailing all artist payment checks (800-1,000+ checks every month)
- Customer support for online sales & IT staff
As you can see, it takes a lot of time, work, and money to produce all ages and underage shows nationwide for local artists. This is true especially because booking local artists is known in the industry to be “much more risky” then larger national tours. But our passion is for local music. We’ve been there. We know that local music is the ground floor of the music industry. Every band started out local. That is why we are always improving, optimizing, and putting as much back into the company as we can! It is always our goal to increase artist payouts and do more and more for our artists to help them succeed.